Similes, Metaphors, and Idioms, Oh My! Do your students struggle to understand the meaning behind figurative language phrases? This product gives your students a figurative language example of the week and each day they will engage in quick yet powerful tasks that will help them be able to identify different types of figurative language, understand the meaning of the phrases, and learn how to use figurative language in their writing.
Teachers can display the figurative language example of the week on a PowerPoint presentation, or print off the example cards to display in their classroom. Students will engage with the figurative language example of the week in the following ways:
- Monday – Students read figurative language example in context of 2-3 sentences. They identify the type of figurative language and make a prediction about what it means.
- Tuesday – students can use a variety of resources to figure out what figurative language phrase actually means.
- Wednesday – Students dig deeper and explain the clues that help them identify the type of figurative language and explain why the author might use this phrase in their writing.
- Thursday – Students draw a picture or symbol that shows the figurative or literal meaning of the phrase.
- Friday – Students create their own figurative language example.
This product includes:
- 40 figurative language example cards (8 examples of each: simile, metaphor, idiom, hyperbole, personification)
- Powerpoint presentation to display the weekly example (includes black and white and color)
- Full page student recording sheet
- Half page student recording sheet and cover to turn into a figurative language booklet
- Teacher Guide/Answer Key
How to use this product:
- This product works great as a warmup or part of your morning work routine.
- Send this home as part of studetns weekly homework packet.
- Place words in a vocabulary workstation
- Use as early finisher work
Love Mrs. M's Style Products? Check these out!
- Click here to sign up to recieve my newsletter. Get teaching ideas, product updates, and freebies, delivered right to your inbox.
- Click here to follow my store to be notified when new products are added.