This is a set of cards with 32 sentences containing different types of figurative language. Students are challenged to decide which type of figurative language is used.
Included in this set is:
32 Figurative Language cards including the following types of figurative language:
*Some cards are a combination of two types of figurative language.
Colorful student directions for using these cards as a game
Colorful student directions for use in a literacy center for sorting
Colorful sorting Mat
Answer key for student or teacher use
I have used these cards in my classroom in several ways. More detailed directions are included in the download as well as in the preview.
1. Use with blank game boards. (I have free game boards available in my TpT store.) At the beginning of each turn, the student must draw a card and identify the figurative correctly. If the student is correct, he/she gets to roll the dice/spinner and move his/her pawn.
2. Use as a competitive game with partners or small groups. Each student who draws a card and correctly identifies the type of figurative language keeps the card. The winner is the student who collects the most cards. You can throw in a few "Gotcha" cards if you like. When a Gotcha card is drawn, the student loses all his collected cards.
3. Use as a literacy center for students to use independently with a sorting mat. Use the answer key to self check.
4. I’ve included a student worksheet to use as a center or independent activity. Students will use the cards to identify which type of figurative language was used. Self checking sheet.
5. Use the cards in a game of “Scoot”. Place a card at each desk. Give each student a recording sheet. They “scoot” around the room in a given pattern and record the answers on their sheet. Great for times when students need a movement activity.
6. Use as a "few minutes" time filler. Choose a card or two to quiz the class when you just have a few minutes.
I’m sure you will find many creative uses for these cards. These are a just few I’ve used in my classroom. I would love to hear your ideas as well. Please leave a comment about your ideas on the feedback section of my TpT store.
**Please check out the preview before purchasing.
Thanks! Shari Abbey