This is a pack of 5 Common Core aligned, rigorous worksheets to teach figurative language: hyperboles, similes, and metaphors.
Common Core Standard:
L.4.5, L.5.5, L.6.5 Demonstrate understanding of figurative language, word relationships, and nuances in word meanings.
L.4.5.a Explain the meaning of simple similes and metaphors (e.g., as pretty as a picture) in context.
Day 1 – SWBAT recognize and write hyperboles.
Day 2 – SWBAT recognize and write similes.
Day 3 – SWBAT recognize and write metaphors.
Day 4 – SWBAT discern and explain hyperboles, similes, and metaphors.
Day 5 – SWBAT embellish a story using hyperboles, similes, and metaphors.
These objectives (and worksheets) can be further broken up and completed over a number of days. Each worksheet is scaffolded and increases in rigor from section to section.
In these worksheets, students are asked to…
• Define a hyperbole, simile, and metaphor
• Connect matching figurative language sentence parts
• Complete unfinished figurative language sentences using their own ideas
• Explain the meaning of given figurative language sentences
• Re-write boring sentences using figurative language
• Create their own figurative language sentences
These answer keys are just ideas for answers. Students should be encouraged to use their creativity and thoughtfulness rather than to find a “correct” answer. Every writer has a different style!