This figurative language activity includes hyperboles, metaphors, similes, puns, proverbs/adages, idioms, onomatopoeia, personification, and alliteration. There are over 200 figures of speech, designed to be printed on sticky notes, that can be categorized in each area. Created for 4th, 5th, 6th, and 7th grade, this activity is perfect for individuals, pairs, small groups, or the whole class.
- There are full color cards and category toppers for students who are new to figures of speech (or for ESL students who are learning the language). Each figure of speech is color coded (all idioms are green, for example).
- The black and white sticky notes and category toppers are designed for students who are familiar with figures of speech, but need practice.
- The answer sheets are also differentiated. You can choose to:
- allow students to do the activity without an answer sheet
- use the answer sheet that simply requires students to write the number of each figure of speech next to the correct category
- use the answer sheet that also requires students to provide evidence for their choice
IDEAS FOR USE:
- Use as a test review
- Use as a game- groups work to complete the activity first (with the highest accuracy)
- Use as an introduction for each figure of speech (the color coded set)
- Use as an evaluation
- Use during stations on a bulletin board or white board
- Use as a catalyst for a class discussion on figures of speech
- Use as a review at the beginning of the year for students who have been exposed to figurative language
NOTE: YOU WILL NEED TO PURCHASE YOUR OWN 3"x3" STICKY NOTES!
If you'd like a version of this activity that does not require sticky notes, snatch it up here:
FIGURATIVE LANGUAGE SORTING ACTIVITY
If you have any questions, please contact me!
Need interactive, fun figurative language activities?
FIGURATIVE LANGUAGE #1: HYPERBOLES
FIGURATIVE LANGUAGE #2: SIMILES AND METAPHORS
FIGURATIVE LANGUAGE #3: IDIOMS
FIGURATIVE LANGUAGE #4: PROVERBS AND ADAGES
FIGURATIVE LANGUAGE #5: PERSONIFICATION
FIGURATIVE LANGUAGE #6: ALLITERATION
FIGURATIVE LANGUAGE #7: ONOMATOPOEIA
FIGURATIVE LANGUAGE #8: PUNS
FIGURATIVE LANGUAGE MEGA BUNDLE
FIGURATIVE LANGUAGE ALL YEAR LONG:
DAILY FIGURATIVE LANGUAGE WARM-UPS
Sign up for access to my EXCLUSIVE FREE RESOURCE LIBRARY AND NEWSLETTER.
For updates on new products and product specials, follow me:
MY TPT STORE
Kirsten has 18 years of experience in elementary education. She has been a homeroom teacher for first grade, third grade, and fourth grade, as well as ESL. She has also been a school counselor for grades PK-6, an ESL pullout teacher for K-6, and a Reading Recovery Teacher. She received her Bachelor’s degree in elementary education and psychology from The University of Iowa and a Master’s of Education in school counseling from Sam Houston State University. She believes that students make the most progress when they are engaged in their hearts as well as their minds. Her resources offer relevant, rigorous, engaging content that nurtures the whole child.
Copyright © Kirsten’s Kaboodle. All Rights Reserved.
• Purchasing this product gives the purchaser ONE LICENSE to this product. This allows the purchaser the right to reproduce this product for HIS/HER class ONLY.
• Duplication for an entire team, school, or school district is strictly forbidden.
• If other teachers would like copies of this product, please direct them to my store.
• You may not reproduce, redistribute, or post this item on a blog or website for download (free or paid).
• Copying any part of this product (even for a classroom website) is also in violation of the Digital Millennium Copyright Act.
• You may not modify, copy, or alter this product in any way.
• Please feel free to spread the word about this product via social media or blog post. A link to the product (or my store) is much appreciated.