FIGURTIVE LANGUAGE COMMON CORE
Get your kids excited about identifying and understanding figurative language in literature. This activity guides students to create their own tab-book to be used as a way to collect examples of similes, metaphors, personification, hyperbole, and idioms.
I have created a colorful student attention grabber power point with sound effects, a Teacher Packet with student cut outs to help jumpstart your students creative juices,and rubric ready to print.
• Slides 1-3 Table of Contents, and Ideas For Using This Lesson
• Slide 4 Introduce the lesson with my poem
• Slides 5-15 with sound effects define and provide real examples for each simile, metaphor, personification, hyperbole, and idiom.
• Slides 16-19 Directions for Making Figurative Language Tab Book
Can be projected to help students understand directions
• Slide 20 Resources Page – Poems to Use
• Slide 21 Student Figurative Language Book Rubric
Please note the preview is a PDF so you will not here the sound effects or see the animations. The Compressed file that you purchase, includes the power point as a protected document and the sound effects will be heard.
The Common Core Standards requires students to determine the meaning of figurative language in literature. This material helps students learn, understand, and demonstrate their understanding of figurative language in print around them.
For a quick assessment after this activity download my free
Figurative Language Mini Assessment