Studying figurative language
makes students better readers and writers! In this unit students will define, interpret, write, read, and analyze six types of figurative language: simile, metaphor, personification, onomatopoeia, alliteration, and hyperbole.
Each lesson includes guided instruction, independent writing practice, independent reading practice (with two reading passages for each lesson), and a super fun and engaging figurative language activity. Speaking of engaging activities, in this unit students will be writing alliteration stories, creating wacky and original similes and metaphors, personifying an object with a character sketch and diary entry, drawing onomatopoeia filled comics, and working in small groups to play hyperbole-bonanza. At the end of this unit, students will be able to better understand, write, read and interpret figurative language
. These figurative language lessons address the vocabulary acquisition and use standard in the Common Core State Standards.
Each lesson can be taught individually or taught all together as a single unit. (Also, each would work great for a substitute lesson plan.)
In this unit students will:
- Demonstrate understanding of figurative language, word relationships, and nuances in word meaning
- Use context as a clue to the meaning of a words or phrase
- Explain the meaning and note effectiveness of similes, metaphors, hyperbole, personification, alliteration, and onomatopoeia
- Interpret figures of speech
This detailed unit includes:
- Detailed Daily Lesson Plans (5)
- Engaging Activity Resources (11 pages)
- Guided Notes (6 pages)
- Independent Practice
- Reading Comprehension Passages (10)
- Answer Keys - Instruction and all Student Work
You may also like…
Reading Comprehension Skills - Mini-Unit Bundle -
Making Inferences, Finding the Main Idea, and Making Predictions
Poetry Reading, Writing, and Analyzing BUNDLE!
How to Respond to Short Answer Questions -
Following is Fun!
Get the inside scoop on all store discounts, free products, and product launches. Just click the green “Follow Me” star under my store name on this page or click the green “Follow Me” star on my store homepage.
Let’s Stay in Touch!
*** Click HERE
to receive the Brain Waves Instruction Newsletter
filled with exclusive FREEBIES and Teaching Tips!
Brain Waves Instruction