Elementary or middle school figurative language activity
Need an easy way for kids to review figurative language vocabulary? No time to make something new? Need it to be flexible as either a whole group or small group/station activity? Then this is the game for you! Simply print off the cards, cut them apart, grab a bag and you are ready for Holy Cow!
Set includes: Holy Cow! cards, vocabulary cards, teacher directions and student directions for small group/stations.
1. Divide students into groups. Game may either be led by the teacher as a whole class activity with students in teams of 3-4 or as a small group activity of 3-4 students.
2. All vocabulary and Holy Cow! cards are placed in a bag.Students take turns pulling a card from the bag.
3. When a card is drawn, the student must hold up the card for all to see. If it is a vocabulary card, the student must correctly state the definition to keep the card. If they do not give the right definition, they must return the card to the bag. If a Holy cow! card is drawn, they must say, “Holy Cow!” and return all of their cards to the bag.
4. Play continues as each player draws cards.
5. There will not be a winner as this game will simply continue as students take turns and try to collect cards.
Background Chevron Credit: http://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Store/Teresa-Lewis
Frames Credit: http://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Store/Lindy-Du-Plessis
Graphics by Dandy Doodles at http://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Store/Dandy-Doodles