Students will be able to explain how authors use refrains and figurative language to create meaning in poetry.
This lesson includes:
1. Hook: Identifying the refrain/repetition in "I have a dream"
2. Vocabulary: Refrain & Theme
3. "Dreams" by Langston Hughes: Figurative language, refrain, and theme.
4. "What a Wonderful World" by Louis Armstong: Figurative language, refrain, and theme
5. "Mother to Son" by Langston Hughes: Figurative Language, refrain, & theme
6. "Still I Rise" by Maya Angelou: figurative language, refrain & theme
7. "Whatif" by Shel Silverstein: Figurative language, refrain, and theme