Tap into your students’ love of music by having them analyze two Dave Matthews’ classics: “Ants Marching” and “The Space Between.” They will closely read and listen to the songs, identifying examples of figurative language and sound devices along the way, explaining their effects upon the reader and how they help to develop the tone and theme of each piece. You can use one or both of the songs as part of your lesson.
This CCSS-aligned Figurative Language through Music packet includes:
• Overview of lesson
• Close reading and figurative language activity for “Ants Marching”
• Thought provoking literary analysis questions for “Ants Marching”
• Close reading and figurative language activity for “The Space Between”
• Thought provoking literary analysis questions for “The Space Between”
• Links to music videos to increase student engagement even further
• Figurative language glossary for reference and review
• Detailed answer keys to make your life easier
You may use the figurative language types included in the glossary, or add and delete as needed for your class needs. Figurative language definitions and examples in this package include: metaphor, simile, personification, hyperbole, idiom, euphemism, onomatopoeia, allusion, repetition, anaphora, epistrophe, alliteration, assonance and consonance.
Common Core State Standards:
The activities in this packet are aligned with the following Common Core standards:
CCSS.ELA-LITERACY.CCRA.R.1: Close reading/inference/textual evidene
CCSS.ELA-LITERACY.CCRA.R.2: Theme and its development
CCSS.ELA-LITERACY.CCRA.R.4: Word choice, figurative language, tone
You may also like:
Short Story Close Reading Mega-Bundle
The Flowers,” Alice Walker: CSI Inference Activity
Student-Led Literary Analysis Group Activity--Works with ANY Fiction!
Vocabulary Activity Mega-Pack: 20+ Games, Printables and More
Book Reports & Alternative Projects—30+ Fun Activities (Plus Rubric and PPT)
Keywords: Figurative language, figurative language in music, figurative language in song, poetry, close reading, Dave Matthews, Ants Marching, The Space Between, analyzing music, pop songs