Song lyrics are perfect for practicing difficult skills and teaching tough concepts. Students respond to music, so use it to your advantage!
This IS included in my mega bundle: ALL of my POETRY RESOURCES GROWING BUNDLE.
This growing bundle includes all my resources that utilize music to teach different skills. Those skills are:
• Identifying and analyzing figurative language devices such as simile, metaphor, hyperbole, idiom, irony, and personification.
• Identifying and analyzing poetic (sound) devices such as alliteration, assonance (rhyme), anaphora, and epistrophe.
• Evaluating the speaker's tone and the writer's purpose.
• Determining the theme/central idea and how the music reinforces the theme.
• Comparing poems with song lyrics with similar themes. (Poems include works by Walt Whitman, William Shakespeare, Sara Teasdale, Emily Dickinson, Henrietta Cordelia Ray, Edgar Albert Guest, Ezra Pound, Lord Byron, Edgar Allan Poe, William Carlos Williams, Rita Dove, Edgar Lee Masters, Edgar Guest, Octavio Paz, Robert Frost, Langston Hughes, AE Housman, Randall Jarrell, Wilfred Owen, WB Yeats, Robert Herrick, Stanley Kunitz, and Edna St. Vincent Millay.)
• Analyzing syntax (the arrangement and order of words) for different purposes and meanings.
• Writing activities to practice comprehension, analysis, and critical-thinking skills.
The zipped bundle contains these previously uploaded products:
Fight Song Figurative Language Motivational Song Activities
Wake Me Up By Aloe Blacc Poetry and Song Lyrics Comparison Activities
"Roar" by Katy Perry - Figurative Language and Poetry Devices Review
One Direction Song Lyrics Poetry Activity
Syntax Song Lyrics and Poetry Analysis Activity
Song Lyric Comparison for Interpretation (includes songs by TLC, Green Day, Tracy Chapman, Metallica, and The Cure)
"Domino" by Jessie J - Using Song Lyrics to Teach Figurative Language
Figurative Language and Poetic Devices Powerpoint Presentation
Song Lyric presentation assignment and rubric
FREE Firework Song Lyric Activity
Many of the activities include editable Word .doc files, as well as interactive notebook activities.
Please note: the songs are NOT included in this download. You may purchase the song on iTunes or use the artist's Vevo or YouTube video in class. Links provided in each individual resource within the bundle.
Created by Tracee Orman © 2016
The Common Core Standards were developed and written by the NGA. © Copyright 2010. National Governors Association Center for Best Practices and Council of Chief State School Officers. All rights reserved. To view the standards online, go to: www.corestandards.org
This resource is NOT affiliated with any of the artists, poets, writers, or producers of the songs and poems or their associates. Permission has been granted via a purchased license and fair use in some cases (see individual products for full details).