Poetry Cafe is now an annual end-of-year tradition in my grade 7-9 English classrooms. It's Common Core aligned and fun to do.
After teaching figurative language & literary devices, this is the ideal independent assignments for students to complete in about a week and present over the span of 1-2 days.
THIS POETRY CAFE PACKAGE INCLUDES:
1. Poetry Cafe assignment instructions + list of literary devices
2. Poetry Cafe assignment rubric
3. A list of the most famous poems for students to analyze
4. Peer assessment sheets after presentations
POEMS IN THIS PACKAGE INCLUDE:
1. “A Dream Within a Dream,” by Edgar Allen Poe
2. “Phenomenal Woman,” by Maya Angelou
3. “Still I Rise” by Maya Angelou
4. “Death Be Not Proud,” by John Donne
5. “Sonnet 18,” by William Shakespeare
6. “O Captain! My Captain!” by Walt Whitman
7. “Do Not Go Gentle Into that Good Night,” by Dylan Thomas
8. “Hope is the Thing with Feathers,” by Emily Dickinson
9. “Moving Water,” by Rumi
10. “Life is Fine” by Langston Hughes
** ALL POEMS INCLUDED IN THIS PACKAGE, READY TO PRINT FOR YOUR STUDENTS**
Your students will love applying their knowledge of literary devices in this assignment which provides them lots of freedom in terms of product (e.g. video, memorize the poem, write a poem, etc.) but still ensures they show in-depth understanding of literary terms. Writing assignment is required for each project choice.
I hope you enjoy Poetry Cafe as much as I do!
CLICK HERE FOR A COMPLETE FIGURATIVE LANGUAGE LESSON & QUIZ!