Get your students thinking critically and creatively about poetry, and specifically the role of figurative language, with this lesson plan.
- Warm-up with a short exercise that 'turns the brain on' while connecting to core concepts in the lesson
- Review vocabulary terms and the last lesson on comparisons (available on TPT)
- Use the same skills to complete an analysis and careful reading of either "Leaf Me Alone" by Broses or "Tone Deficit" by Kevin McFadden
- Complete a creative writing exercise to develop a poem with word play
- Guide critical thinking with careful questions
- Facilitate activities with clear, step-by-step instructions
- Model vocabulary-rich and evidence-driven analysis with answers to all prompts