Get your students thinking critically and creatively about poetry, and specifically the role of figurative language, with this lesson plan.
- Learn appropriate vocabulary to discuss, identify and use figurative language
- Practice matching examples to vocabulary terms
- Use the same skills to complete an analysis and careful reading of "For Colored Boys" by Bao Phi and "The Concrete River" by Luis J Rodriguez.
- Complete a creative writing exercise to develop a poem draft about childhood
- Guide critical thinking with careful questions
- Facilitate activities and games with clear, step-by-step instructions
- Model vocabulary-rich and evidence-driven analysis with answers to all prompts