Topics: Film Study, Venn Diagram, Compare & Contrast, Culture, Discussion
This film study includes materials for the film Ponyo, a Japanese animated film based on Hans Christian Anderson’s The Little Mermaid. Perfect for extra instructional days or for a more complex unit on how own cultural lens impacts storytelling!
1) Interactive PowerPoint introduces the film and its source material, The Little Mermaid
2) Show students how to use a three-way Venn diagram to develop their comparing & contrasting skills
3) Modify the film-viewing experience with supplementary activities
4) Use the Discussion Guide to debrief
You’ll receive the following materials:
• PowerPoint presentation (.pptx file) & script
• Lesson plans with suggestions for pre- and post-viewing activities
• Venn diagram printables (two- and three-way)
• Elementary-level Story Map printable
• Middle/High Film Study & Cornell Method Notetaking printable
A Note on Grade-level:
This product was originally designed for middle school classrooms; however, the film Ponyo is fully accessible to younger students and can be matched to common core standards as early as second grade (see preview for full list of applicable standards)! To help with modification, I’ve included materials and discussion questions for all grade levels.