Finding Fiction Lesson Plan
Using Call Numbers as Clues
Grab these TWO 45-minute lessons and GO!! EVERYTHING you need to hit the ground running – including a word-for-word (teacher-tested and student-approved) lesson plan with script, an EDITABLE 27-slide PowerPoint Presentation with 5 pages of EDITABLE corresponding student handouts, an EDITABLE exit slip, and an EDITABLE follow up, scavenger-hunt activity challenge!
Through this engaging and educational lesson, students will be driven by the essential question “How do we find the resources that we want and need?”. Students will learn how to locate the fiction books they are looking for by:
• stating the difference between fiction and nonfiction.
• stating the difference between different types of fiction books.
• creating call numbers for fiction books.
• connecting the book’s call number to its actual location in the library.
This lesson aligns with Common Core and AASL Standards:
• Common Core Reading Anchor Standards:
o Integration of Knowledge and Ideas: Integrate and evaluate content presented in diverse media formats, including visually and quantitatively, and orally.
o AASL Standards
*Inquire, Think Critically, and Gain Knowledge: Skills:
-1.1.2 Use prior and background knowledge as context for new learning.
-1.1.4 Find, evaluate, and select appropriate sources to answer questions.
This detailed lesson includes a complete set of Finding Fiction resources and planning tools:
• A 6-page scripted lesson plan including:
o Essential Questions
o “I Can” Statements
o Common Core and AASL Standards Alignment
o Previous Lessons/Context of Lesson
o Next Steps
• EDITABLE 27-slide Finding Fiction PowerPoint Presentation
• 5-page Finding Fiction student Handout (Printable PDF and Customizable Form)
• Finding Fiction Exit Slip (Printable PDF and Customizable Form)
• 4-page Finding Fiction follow up, activity scavenger hunt challenge (Printable PDF and Customizable Form)
I love followers!
Get the inside scoop on all store discounts, free products, and product launches. Just click the green “Follow Me” star under my store name on this page or click the green “Follow Me” star on our store homepage. All followers automatically receive 50% off new materials posted for the first 24 hours! It pays to follow me!!
Sprinkle a little pixie dust in your library today!
© Library Pixie Dust