This resource is a fun activity to discover interesting facts about school. Originally inspired by the Harper’s Index in Harper's Magazine, I have been using the Harper’s Index, student-style, for years. It is consistently a student favorite, whether it’s a back-to-school activity to build classroom community, at the end of a unit or just for fun. I have also used it for journalism class and yearbook and students have reported becoming Harper’s Magazine fans after this activity. Students come up with ideas to find out facts about school, based on a study of Harper’s Index. Next, students interview people at school to fact-check and then they write their own one-page version of the Harper’s Index. You can adapt it to suit your class. This nine-page resource includes:
• A fast facts one-pager of background on the Harper’s Index.
• Five-step instructions on how to search the free Harper’s Index archive online for access to endless fascinating statistics.
• Links to an article about the Harper’s Index, a podcast celebrating the 25th anniversary of the index and instructions for a writing activity.
• A sample Harper’s Index with sources.
• A blank template to brainstorm ideas.
• A guided template for students who require scaffolding.
• A blank Harper’s Index template.
• A Harper’s Index rubric.
• An exit pass reflection mini task card and suggestions to extend learning.
A Note From Me:
I love making products for high school students that are creative, engaging and fun to use in the classroom. It is my sincere hope that you find this product useful. Please check out some of my other resources at Allyson’s Creative Corner.
Happy by Pharrell Williams: A Literary Analysis of the Hit Song & Fun Activities
Life in Six Words Memoirs - Creative Writing
Persepolis Task Cards
Click on the green star next to my store logo above for product updates. Thank you for following my store.
Your feedback is important. Please leave a rating and comments to earn valuable TPT credits for future purchases.
How to Rate This Resource:
• Go to My Purchases.
*You may need to log in.
• Look for the Provide Feedback
button beside each purchase.
• Once you click on the Provide Feedback button, you may leave a rating and a short comment.
• Each time you leave feedback, TPT gives you credits for you to use to lower the cost of future purchases.
Allyson's Creative Corner
Thanks again for visiting my store!