This 23-page Powerpoint is a lesson on how to find evidence within a passage that correctly supports your answer. There is also an accompanying passage with comprehension questions. The Powerpoint includes Kagan strategies, with clickable directions for each strategy. It was designed for 2nd grade, but can be used with 1st through 3rd!
Here is the lesson plan for this Powerpoint; feel free to copy and paste!
Finding Textual Evidence
CO: I can highlight/circle the correct evidence to support my answer to a comprehension question.
M: Textual Evidence Powerpoint, Coyotes passage
1. On Powerpoint, access background knowledge: What is evidence?
2. Review objective and vocabulary words (passage, evidence, support)
3. Introduce the steps for supporting answers with evidence
4. Whole group practice: Model finding correct evidence, noting that sometimes all the answer choices may be in the passage, but not all answers are correct! They have to pay close attention to the question.
5. Student discourse: What could happen if a student picks an answer but doesn't find their evidence?
6. Small group practice (assessment): Read Coyotes passage aloud and have students work in teams to answer questions and find evidence
7. Partner review: Have students work with a partner who is not their teammate, and share the answers they got with their groups.
8. Closure (or journal prompt if time allows): What is evidence? Why is it important?
Assessment: Coyotes comprehension questions w/evidence
Grouping: Whole group, small group, partners