Finding Theme - Teaching Theme - Identifying Theme - 4th Grade
Looking for a finding theme close reading resource that will engage your 4th graders? This 4th-grade NO PREP reading comprehension packet will help students learn how to find the theme and summarize it. They will love reading this engaging story using close reading strategies for 1st and 2nd readings, a graphic organizer, and reading comprehension questions to show mastery. This print-and-go packet is full of activities for a 2-3 day lesson and will make teaching theme so quick and easy!
Included in this Finding Theme reading comprehension packet:
• Taro's Underwater Adventure Reading Passage: This engaging story will be fun for your 4th graders to read while identifying theme.
• Theme Anchor Chart: Teaching theme starts with anchor charts that help students learn what to look for in the story.
• Steps for Finding the Theme of a Story: These detailed steps will help students identify the theme.
• Close Reading Guiding Questions: Students can use these handy guiding questions to set a purpose for reading.
• 1st Read Note-Taking Page: Immediately after the first reading, your students can note key details from the story
• The Big Ideas: This unique organizer will help your fourth-grade students organize the details as they are identifying theme in this story.
• Story Plot Map: Using this plot map will help students organize the story's main events.
• 2nd Read Text-Dependent Comprehension Questions: After the 2nd reading, students are ready to respond to these comprehension questions that lead them to finding theme.
• Summary Writing: Write a story summary that includes key details after identifying the theme.
• Answer Key: Quick and easy for you to check student answers.
• How to Use Pages: Suggestions to use this resource in your classroom when teaching theme.
★ PLEASE SEE THE PREVIEW FOR A CLOSER LOOK! ★
Use this Teaching Theme Reading Comprehension resource for:
✔ Whole Group Reading Instruction: Introduce Identifying Theme in your whole group lessons
✔ Guided Reading Groups: Use this reading resource as a focus text for your reading groups.
✔ Homework: Send home as a practice activity
✔ Bellwork: Use as a bellringer for extra reading comprehension practice
✔ Literacy Centers: Students can practice finding theme in literacy centers.
EASEL™ Activity: This resource is ready for students to access TpT's EASEL platform! Easel is an interactive layer over the original PDF worksheets that you can use on the TpT platform OR assign in Google Classroom.
Common Core Standards in this resource:
RL.4.1 - Refer to details and examples in a text when explaining what the text says explicitly and when drawing inferences from the text.
RL.4.2 - Determine a theme of a story, drama, or poem from details in the text; summarize the text.
L.4.4 - Determine or clarify the meaning of unknown and multiple-meaning words and phrases based on grade 4 reading and content, choosing flexibly from a range of strategies.
W.4.10 - Write routinely over extended time frames (time for research, reflection, and revision) and shorter time frames (a single sitting or a day or two) for a range of discipline-specific tasks, purposes, and audiences.
➪ You'll love these other close reading resources if you need more reading resource ideas for your 4th-grade class!
➪ Other Reading Resources:
"Don't forget to leave feedback -you will receive TPT credits that you can use toward future purchases!
Thank you for visiting Teaching in the Heart of Florida!