Finding Theme - Teaching Theme - Identifying Theme - Reading Comprehension
Looking for a finding theme close reading resource that will engage your 3rd graders? This 3rd-grade NO PREP reading comprehension packet will help students learn how to find the theme, central message, or lesson in a story. They will love reading this engaging story using close reading strategies for 1st and 2nd readings, a graphic organizer, and reading comprehension questions to show mastery. This print-and-go packet is full of activities for a 1-3 day lesson and will make teaching theme so quick and easy!
Included in this Finding Theme reading comprehension packet:
- The Thief in the Pantry Reading Passage: This engaging story will be fun for your 3rd graders to read while identifying theme.
- Finding Theme Anchor Chart: Teaching theme starts with anchor charts that help students learn what to look for in the story.
- Steps for Finding the Theme of a Story: These detailed steps will help students as they are identifying theme.
- Close Reading Guiding Questions: Students can use these handy guiding questions to set a purpose for reading.
- 1st Read Note Taking Page: Immediately after the first reading, your students can note key details from the story
- Story Sequence Graphic Organizer: Using this graphic organizer will help students organize the main events of the story.
- 2nd Read Text-Dependent Comprehension Questions: After the 2nd reading, students are ready to respond to these comprehension questions that lead them to finding theme.
- Summary Writing: Write a story summary that includes key details after identifying the theme.
- Answer Key: Quick and easy for you to check student answers.
- How to Use Pages: Suggestions to use this resource in your classroom when teaching theme.
★ PLEASE SEE THE PREVIEW FOR A CLOSER LOOK! ★
Use this Teaching Theme Reading Comprehension resource for:
✔ Whole Group Reading Instruction: Introduce Identifying Theme in your whole group lessons
✔ Guided Reading Groups: Use this reading resource as a focus text for your reading groups.
✔ Homework: Send home as a practice activity
✔ Bellwork: Use as a bellringer for extra reading comprehension practice
✔ Literacy Centers: Students can practice finding theme in literacy centers.
EASEL™ Activity: This Finding Theme resource is ready for students to access TpT's EASEL platform! Easel is an interactive layer over the original PDF worksheets that you can use on the TpT platform OR assign in Google Classroom.
Common Core Standards in this resource:
RL.3.1 - Ask and answer questions to demonstrate understanding of a text as the basis for the answers.
RL.3.2 - Recount stories, including fables, folktales, and myths from diverse cultures; determine the central message, lesson, or moral and explain how it is conveyed through key details in the text.
W3.10 - Write routinely over extended time frames (time for research, reflection, and revision) and shorter time frames (a single sitting or a day or two) for a range of discipline-specific tasks, purposes, and audiences.
➪ Need more reading comprehension passages with questions and graphic organizers?
- Character Traits - Reading Passage, Graphic Organizers, Questions - 3rd Grade
- Point of View - Reading Passage, Organizer, Anchor Charts, Questions - 3rd Grade
- Main Idea | Reading Passages + Questions + Organizers + Vocabulary | 3rd Grade
- 3rd & 4th Grade Reading Comprehension Passages + Questions | Washington, D.C.
"Don't forget to leave feedback -you will receive TPT credits that you can use toward future purchases!
Thank you for visiting Teaching in the Heart of Florida!