Finding the main idea in a reading passage is one of the fundamental skills of a reader. That’s why it is essential to give students an opportunity to learn HOW to do just that!
This interactive notebook resource is designed to help students practice and master the skill of identifying the main idea in a passage. Students will progress through 3 days of engaging and fun lessons while they showcase their learning with over 20 interactive shapes!
Each lesson starts with a fun and engaging activity --- Tri-Bond Centers, Building a Main Idea House, and a Cooperative Main Idea Paragraph Activity. Direct instruction on how to find the main idea and supporting details in passages further develop students’ reading comprehension skills. Five original reading passages also help students practice their skills and develop their confidence.
This detailed Interactive Notebook Main Idea mini-unit includes:
- Tips for Implementing Interactive Notebooks
- 3 Detailed Daily Lesson Plans
- 10 Main Idea Bond Cards
- Main Idea Bond Interactive Shape
- Building a Main Idea House - passage and cut-outs
- Small Group Sentence Strips and Main Idea Interactive Shapes
- Guided Notes on Finding the Main Idea
- 3 Short Practice Passages with Main Idea Graphic Organizers
- Main Idea Question Stem Notes and Foldable
- 2 Long Practice Passages with Main Idea Graphic Organizer and Multiple Choice Questions
- Pictures to show the interactive notebook shapes
- All keys for student work and instruction
This unit is also available in a traditional format where students work in student packets. You can check it out here: Finding the Main Idea Mini-Unit
Have you seen this super fun companion resource? It's a Finding the Main Idea Doodle and Do Mini-Unit
- Doodle Notes and Learning Activities!
Or, you may also like…
Speech Analysis Unit --- Reading, Analyzing, Researching, Presenting
Myth Writing Unit
Reading Comprehension Learning Centers
- Albert Einstein
Following is Fun!
Get the inside scoop on all store discounts, free products, and product launches. Just click the green “Follow Me” star under my store name on this page or click the green “Follow Me” star on my store homepage.
*** Click HERE
to receive the Brain Waves Instruction Newsletter
filled with exclusive FREEBIES and Teaching Tips!
*** Click HERE
to become a seller on TpT
(Referral by Brain Waves Instruction)
Brain Waves Instruction