Learning Take Out
Finding the Main Idea
Learning Take Out is a HUGE hit in my classroom, and I have a feeling your students will love it too!
With Learning Take Out students are super engaged while practicing and targeting specific ELA skills. It includes a mini-lesson to help students build background on finding the main idea
and then provides an engaging way for students to showcase their learning. Filled with 18 skill-targeted task cards, Learning Take Out is adaptable to whole group, small group, and independent work. It’s the perfect way to build students’ reading skills, prepare for standardized assessments, and monitor students’ progress, while having fun at the same time!
Implementing Learning Take Out in the classroom is super easy. All you need to do is gather the materials (Chinese take-out boxes and this resource), print and cut out the task cards, stick them in the Learning Take Out boxes, teach a mini-lesson on finding the main idea
, and then let the fun begin as students participate in Learning Take Out in one of three ways.
You can implement Learning Take Out in one of these ways in your classroom…
• Small Groups:
Tap into students’ love of working together with this version of Learning Take Out. In it, students will work cooperatively to answer all the questions in the Learning Take Out box.
• Learning Centers:
In this version of Learning Take Out, students will rotate around the classroom to different learning centers. Learning centers are an exciting way for students to extend their learning in the classroom.
• Pick and Pass:
The Pick and Pass version of Learning Take Out is a great way to see how students understand the instructional concepts independently. In it, students answer each Learning Take Out task card all on their own.
With this resource, students will...
• Implement reading skills to help identify the main idea
• Determine the main idea in fiction and nonfiction mini-passages
• Develop an understanding of supporting details
• Differentiate between main ideas and supporting details
• Identify supporting details in a passage
• Differentiate between relevant and irrelevant supporting details
Included in this resource...
• Learning Take Out Overview
• Step-by-Step Setup Guide
• Learning Take Out Teaching Guide
• Finding the Main Idea Lesson Plan
• Implementation Options (Small Groups, Learning Centers, and Pick and Pass) Step-by-Step Setup and Activity Directions
• Learning Take Out Box Labels
• Learning Take Out Storage Box Label
• Student Guided Notes - Finding the Main Idea
• Learning Take Out - Answer Sheet
• 18 Skill-Specific Task Cards - Multiple Choice and Short Answer
• All Teacher Keys
This resouce is designed as a companion to this Finding the Main Idea - Mini-Unit.
Also...this resource is part of a Learning Take Out BUNDLE! You can find it HERE.
The bundle includes Learning Take Out Resources for Finding the Theme, Figurative Language, and Finding the Main Idea.
Additional Learning Take Out Resources:
• Finding the Theme
• Figurative Language
You may also like…
Reading Comprehension Skills - ULTIMATE BUNDLE - 12 Mini-Units!
Close Reading Mini-Unit
Listening Comprehension Unit
Expository Writing Unit
Following is Fun!
Get the inside scoop on all store discounts, free products, and product launches. Just click the green “Follow Me” star under my store name on this page or click the green “Follow Me” star on my store homepage.
*** Click HERE
to receive the Brain Waves Instruction Newsletter
filled with exclusive FREEBIES and Teaching Tips!
*** Click HERE
to become a seller on TpT
(Referral by Brain Waves Instruction)
Brain Waves Instruction