- Google Drive™ folder
Also included in
- 6 Reading Comprehension packages with slideshow lesson, handouts, posters, detailed lesson plans, and YouTube video lessons. Distance Learning and 1:1 Google Classroom ready! Teach your students reading comprehension strategies to help them actively engage with the text (instead of just passively so$28.00$56.00Save $28.00
6 lessons to teach students HOW to find the BEST main idea in a text. Slideshow lesson, handout, poster, detailed lesson plans.
Distance Learning and 1:1 Google Classroom™ ready!
Finding the Main Idea is more than just figuring out what general point the author is trying to make.
It’s about recognizing that we can come up with several main ideas, but the “best” main idea has strong support from the entire article.
Use this lesson to give students a process to find clues in the organization of the text.
Active reading means looking at the information in each paragraph and deciding if it is “nice to know” side information or essential information that develops the author’s point?
4 PRO TIPS to help your students EVALUATE ideas as they read
- Focus on the BIG PICTURE (the entire article). Summarize the entire article in a word or phrase. What general point is the author trying to make?
- Look for clues in key spots. (How is the text organized?)
- Think about each paragraph. What is this paragraph about? (Where is the main idea in the paragraph? Beginning? Middle? End?) What role does this paragraph play?
- Find the “best” main idea. The main idea is NOT always directly stated. The best idea has strong support from the beginning, middle, and end of the entire article.
The slideshow lesson is comprehensive, easy to use and includes everything you need for :
- DISTANCE LEARNING or 1:1 LEARNING in Google Classroom
- FACE to FACE LEARNING in your real classroom
In this package, you get:
- the slideshow lesson to walk your students through 4 pro tips to using the Finding the Main Idea reading strategy and an example of how to use this strategy..
- a generic Finding the Main Idea handout package that can be used with any text. This helps students ask questions before, during, and after reading.
- a metacognition handout/reflection questions to help students reflect on the strategy
- a rubric to assess ideas generated during reading, as well as ideas generated during the metacognition reflection.
BONUS VIDEO LESSON: I am recording the slideshow as a FREE YOUTUBE VIDEO so it’s easier to teach with DISTANCE LEARNING. STAY TUNED!
$$$ This product is currently deeply discounted ($5) until the YouTube video is published. At that point, the price will go up to $10.00
IMPORTANT NOTE: This product DOES NOT include a text for students to read!
The package only includes the Finding the Main Idea strategy slideshow lesson and handouts.
It is intended for teachers to use with a novel or text that they are studying in class.
If you would like to use the informational text in this slideshow about "The first Black leader of a Federal Party in Canada Reading Response Article 008", you can find the article HERE.
Reading comprehension strategies like Finding the Main Idea help students engage with the text and gain a deeper understanding than just passively reading.
This product is also included in our .