Fireboat by Maira Kalman Lesson Plan and Activities
1st - 4th, Homeschool
A guided reading or interactive read aloud lesson plan for the realistic fiction mentor text book Fireboat: The Heroic Adventures of the John J. Harvey by Maira Kalman. A great book for studying community, September 11th, or Patriot Day!
Lessons and activities focus on:
- Summarizing key details (4 strategies: narrative retell, timeline, graphic organizer, Somebody Wanted But Then So)
- analyzing with text evidence
- close reading for analyzing illustration to text connections
- describing author's message / lesson
- comparing and contrasting
- identifying main idea and details
The lesson plans include:
- teacher script with strategic stopping points and questions for students to discuss
- printable prompts for student post-reading responses through discussion in writing or reading response logs
- 4-5 day plan
- Discussion questions
- Suggested discussion strategies
- Strategic stopping points for questioning and close reading
- Anchor chart examples
- Sentence stems / frames for oracy and vocabulary development
- Great for bilingual classrooms
- Printable worksheets for written responses
How to Use This Resource:
- whole group
- small group
- as a reading intervention
- for a substitute / in a sub folder
- special education (SPED)
- bilingual or Dual Language / DLI classrooms
- with ELLs for ESL instruction
- Great for K, 1st, 2nd, 3rd or 4th grade
Your kindergarten, first, second, third or fourth grade students will love this!
✰ ✭ ✰ ✭ ✰ ✭ ✰ ✭ ✰ ✭ ✰ ✭ ✰ ✭ ✰ ✭ ✰ ✭ ✰ ✭
You May Also Like:
Report this resource to TPT
Reported resources will be reviewed by our team. Report this resource to let us know if this resource violates TPT’s content guidelines.
to see state-specific standards (only available in the US).
With prompting and support, ask and answer questions about key details in a text.
With prompting and support, retell familiar stories, including key details.
With prompting and support, identify characters, settings, and major events in a story.
Ask and answer questions about unknown words in a text.
Recognize common types of texts (e.g., storybooks, poems).