Firefighters and Fire Safety Unit
This is a comprehension reading unit for the theme of Firefighters and Fire Safety. It can be used for the week of fire safety, but can be used at others times during the year. My goal with this unit was to address fire safety with meaningful standard-based learning activities. I hope you enjoy this unit as much as my students and I do!
1. Fiction retelling Activity- Used with the book: Dot the Fire Dog By: Lisa Desimini (can be found online Bookflix)
2. Firefighter Vocabulary- Used with the book: A Day with Firefighters By: Jan Kottke
3. Firefighters can, have, are chart. Used with the book: We Need Firefighters by:
4. Firefighter character web- I use this with a short silent film I found on you-tube.
Used with a video:
(Preview before use)
5. Non-fiction Mini Reader- We read the book together. Highlighting the different features and how they help us understand. Then we do a close reading with highlighters to complete the following activity.
6. Non-fiction features close reading response worksheet
7. Opinion Writing organizer and final copy writing paper... "Are firefighters brave?"
8. Fire Safety bracket web. Used with Sparky.org fire safety:
9. Beginning/middle/end writing & draw response. Used with: Frankin and the Fire (video). Can be found on youtube.