Kindergarten Darlings has created a unit all about Fireflies. Young children are mesmerized by these wonderful creatures and will love learning all about Fireflies. The unit is great for teaching students early reading skills, writing skills, sentence development, and phonics skills that will build a well rounded literacy student. These activities can be incorporated into your guided reading, shared reading, and RTI groups. In addition, you can use these activities during tutoring sessions or home support. All activities can be used to support Reader's Workshop, Writer's Workshop, Word Work and Phonics lessons. Many of the activities come with different levels so that you can meet the needs of the students in your classroom. Also, the activities can be used to help boost student knowledge of skills presented in Dibels testing: reading fluency/comprehension, sight word knowledge, non-sense word fluency, etc.
1. One Page Sight Word Stories
a. The Little Firefly: 2 levels, comes in black-line and color
b. The Firefly: comes in black-line and color
c. Catching Fireflies: 2 levels
2. Action Words: student activity and colored pocket chart/center cards
3. Reading Comprehension: 3 versions
4. Compound Words: 2 versions, student activity and colored pocket chart/center
5. Life Cycle of a Firefly – 2 levels
6. Simple Sentence Match – 3 levels
7. Sentence Development Activity
8. Non-Fiction Writing – comes with a colored word chart
9. Emergent Readers – 3 student level readers and colored teacher/
classroom library version.
10. Making Words: lightning bugs
a. Short Ii vs Long Ii
b. F vs. Fl
12. Exploring Letters: short Ii, long Ii and Ff
13. Building Words: short Ii, Long Ii and Ff words
14. Syllable Sort: 1, 2, 3 and 4 syllable words
15. Real vs. Nonsense Word Sort –ight
16. Mystery Sentence: use beginning sounds to decode a sentence- At night, I like to catch fireflies.
17. Build a Sentence: Fireflies shine in the night sky.