This is a 12-page reading response activity for Julie Brinckloe’s Fireflies!
for students in 3rd-4th Grades. I would also recommend it for a higher level second grade class.
Please note: there is no answer key included with this product. Please do not purchase this resource if you are looking for an answer key or an "Anticipated Student Responses" page.
The exercises focus on what good readers do before and after reading a text. There is something here for all learning levels, making this a very inclusive product for your classroom. Even if you have a student who needs to develop their fine motor skills, coloring the title page will be the perfect page to assign.
Before reading activities include:
• Students complete a web where they brainstorm what they know about fireflies, summer or caring for the environment
• A page where students activate their prior knowledge by writing about how they like to spend a summer evening
• A page where students will make a prediction about what the text might be about
After reading activities include:
• An interactive “Identify the main events of the story” flip-the-page exercise where students write about an important event from the beginning, middle and end (this activity is perfect for students on a modified academic program)
• A “Compound Words” page where students color the pictures of compound words and then write them in alphabetical order
• A Venn-diagram where students will compare Winter nights and Summer nights
• A text-to-self connection page where students write about how they relate to the text and then draw a picture to accompany their connection
• A page where students will ask three questions they still have about the text
• A reading comprehension page where students describe the change in the main character’s mood throughout the story
• A page for students to write about the author’s purpose
• A page for students to write about the meaning of the last lines of text from the story
Where appropriate, the longer-answer questions/prompts includes a checklist for students to complete to make sure their work meets expectations
Should you need the checklist, or anything for that matter, modified to better suit your classroom or district expectations, don’t hesitate to email me. I’d be happy to make the changes and send you the revised product.
All of the product’s pages do not need to be assigned at once. They can easily be broken up and set up as a number of literacy stations. It would also work very well as your Emergency Plans for your Literacy Block. I’ve designed this product so that it is easily differentiated. There is something here for all learners. Most students will be able to complete all of the tasks, but there is purposeful work that can be assigned to those students with different learning needs.
The great thing about this product is that it’s a mix-and-matcher. You can pick and choose which activities you want to use from one year to the next and from one student to another.
Please be sure to download the preview file. It really is the best description of the product. In order for you to be sure this is the right product for you and your grade level, the preview shows all the items included in this product.
Thanks so much for visiting my store!
Ira Sleeps Over
How to Brush Your Teeth: a Procedural Writing Activity
Blackout by John Rocco