First Chapter Friday is a popular program that helps your students get excited about independent reading books. Each Friday, you choose a book and read the first chapter, then make that book available for students to check out.
There are a lot of ways to make this fun program even more successful. This curriculum set contains ideas to help your tired voice, and fun display headers and editable posters to keep the popular books in your program front of mind for your busy students.
*Added for Distance Learning in 2020: There is now a Google Drive link to the student handouts. Kids can now print the sketchnotes or doodle templates at home or insert text boxes and drag/drop images into the templates to create digital sketchnotes as they listen. Just follow the instructions to make your own copy and go from there.
*Added by request: You'll also see a Google Drive link to a version of the bookmarks and sketchnotes templates that do not include the word "Friday." This will give you more flexibility if you want to switch to "First Chapter Mondays," etc.
Here's what's inside:
- Sketchnotes and Doodle Templates to give students something to focus on as they listen instead of putting their heads down or staring into space
- Ideas for the reading, like inviting guests to showcase their favorite books and recording a series of first chapters within your department that you can access year after year
- A list of popular YA titles to consider for your First Chapter Friday series
- Printable "TBR" bookmarks for students to jot down which books in your program they want to read
- Three different display headers, and a full accompanying file with six editable book poster templates you can use to showcase the books in your program on your walls
Check out the preview for a closer look at this fun set, and get ready for a successful First Chapter Friday series your students will want to last all year!
From the Reviews:
- "Thank you for sharing this quick and thorough introduction to First Chapter Fridays and resources for students. It's just what this busy educator needed!"
- "Thank you so much! I've had students begging me to color or doodle during First Chapter Fridays. I haven't taken the time to find resources for them during this time so I am so excited that you have done the work for me. You are saving my sanity one resource at a time! Thank you!"
- "I just started doing First Chapter Friday this year, and this resource is perfect! It keeps my kids accountable while I read! Thank you so much!"