The first day of a new language class can be scary for students, and they need to know that you are on their side, that you are there to do whatever you can for them.
Experts say language teachers need to do three things:
1. "Teach to the eyes" and monitor students' comprehension
2. "Stay in bounds" and stick to language they have the means to comprehend
3. "Go slow"
Knowing up front that their teacher promises to do these things and allow students to keep her/him accountable helps build trust. Knowing that their teacher is paying attention and adjusting to their needs can help make students as comfortable and open as possible. Knowing that they will not be left struggling on their own will help them feel confident that they CAN use a new language.
Materials here are to remind teachers and students of these promises, through classroom reminders on the wall, a presentation to introduce and discuss the promises, plus a matching activity and score cards to reinforce the promises in different ways.
This bundle includes:
- 6 8 1/2" x 11" posters in color and black and white
- 1 Powerpoint presentation with individual promises plus clarification
- 1 printable score card page for students to provide feedback for teachers
- 1 printable page for use in interactive notebooks
All materials are written in comprehensible Spanish with plenty of cognates and high-frequency vocabulary.
See "You Can Do This" on PBLintheTL.com
for more information.