These activities allow students to show their analytic and critical-thinking skills in speaking and writing. As a First Day lesson, it offers teachers a clear writing baseline, so they can assess what areas of writing they need to focus on during the year.
NOTE: This is an excellent First Day (and any day) activity because it:
1. Makes the students think
2. Teaches them to express themselves verbally in a non-argumentative manner, and then to clearly relate these same thoughts in writing
3. Requires them to listen to others’ opinions
4. Involves the students actively on the first day of school.
The packet includes
1. Detailed Teacher Notes
2. Detailed Student Directions
3. A poster for each corner of the classroom which states: Agree, Disagree, Ambivalent, or No Opinion.
Engage your students by getting them on their feet where they can share their opinions on a variety of contemporary topics. After that, give them time to express their thoughts in writing.
Start your year with an activity that gets students moving, that makes them think, and gives them the opportunity to express themselves verbally and in writing.
More writing activities
Writing Activity - Banned Books Research Project
Writing:Research Project - Theme-Based
Writing Activity: Research Paper Graphic- Making Connections
Enjoy a Teach It Now Day, Every Day,
For an automatic Heads-Up! email about Updated and New products, and also for Sales and other promotions, please click on the Follow Me star under my Store name, Connie