This is a Mad Lib about the first day of school, in which students think of words to fill in the blanks in a story, before they know the actual content of the story. When students later fill in the blanks, the resulting story is usually hilarious and bizarre. This is a very motivating, fun activity, and it gives a strong purpose for writing and reading. Students love to share their creations with their classmates.
This activity would be appropriate for Grade 3 or 4 French Immersion students or more advanced Core French students. Students need an understanding of the parts of speech: nouns, adjectives, and verbs. Students can complete the activity individually, in pairs, or the class can complete the Mad Lib as a whole class activity.
Here are the steps to complete this activity:
1. Do not show the class the first two pages of the Mad Lib with the story. The details of the story are a secret, but you can tell the class the general topic.
2. Review nouns, adjectives, and verbs.
3. Complete the entire third page of the activity with the table and the parts of speech listed. Ask the students to think of creative words that will make the story funnier.
4. Hand out the first two story pages. Take the responses from the third page and plug them into the story by filling in the blanks, making sure to match the number and word in the table with the blanks in the story.
5. Read the story as a class or share the story in partners.
You may also like these products in French:
a) Math Gard Games to Practise the Basic Operations (Both French and English)
Math Card Games
b) Procedure Writing
c) Writing a Newspaper
Writing a Newspaper
Please rate my products to earn TpT points toward free products.
If you have any questions, please contact me at email@example.com.