Products in this Bundle (5)
This bundle contains five sets of decodable non-fiction texts for emerging readers and English Learners (a total of 28 individual stories). All texts contain photos mostly taken by my husband or myself, along with high-frequency sight words and story words that are systematically introduced with a controlled vocabulary that builds from one text to the next. While there are other decodable texts available for emerging readers, this series is unique in combining systematic phonics/decodable text with non-fiction topics and photographs.
- Set 1 includes six decodable non-fiction phonics stories focused on short vowel words (CVC), such as cat, dog, hen, pig, and duck (Books 1-6).
- Set 2 includes five decodable non-fiction phonics stories focused on consonant blends (with short vowel words) (CCVC and CVCC), such as slug, frog, clam, nest, and pond (Books 7-11).
- Set 3 includes four decodable non-fiction phonics stories focused on long vowels with magic/silent e (CVCe), such as race, bike, nose, and dune (Books 12-15).
- Set 4 includes six decodable non-fiction phonics stories focused on consonant digraphs (CCVC, CVCC, CCVe), such as shells, fish, chips, ranch, thick, moth, long, and whales (Books 16-21).
- Set 5 includes seven decodable non-fiction phonics stories focused on open vowels (CV words and syllables, such as we, hi, go, pro) and regular vowel digraphs (vowel teams) (CVVC, CCVVC, CVVCC) such as snail, jay, seal, sheep, goat, crow, light, skies, fruit, chew, and clue (Books 22-28).
The materials in this bundle align to state standards for kindergarten, first grade, and second grade. There is a of each story, which you can print and staple on the left-hand side, or use to display with a projector or TV. There is also a of each story, if you have a printer that can print two-sided. Then you can make a little booklet of each story, stapling down the dotted line in the middle.
Because these books contain actual photos, rather than drawings, they can be suitable both for elementary students and for teens and adults learning to read in English (English Learners).
Most state standards include a focus on reading informational text, even in first and second grade, but finding materials that are suitable for emerging readers can be challenging. These decodable non-fiction texts are designed to fill this gap.
If you purchase the Kindergarten Decodable Bundle (Books 1-15, plus alphabet and colors, in Sets 0-3) and the Second Grade Bundle (Books 16-49 in Sets 4-8), you can skip purchasing this First Grade Bundle (Books 1-28 in Sets 1-5), as all titles in the First Grade Bundle are included in either the Kindergarten or Second Grade Bundle.