This unit is designed with the Grade 1 Manitoba Science curriculum in mind, but the lessons and activities are suitable to be used with any curriculum about objects and materials. This unit is for Cluster 3: Characteristics and Objects and Materials.
Each unit contains a lesson idea and interactive journal page for each unit outcome. There is also one science experiment and one design process project in each unit.
These are the lessons/outcomes covered in this unit:
1. Unit title page idea
2. Unit vocabulary
3. Use five senses to list characteristics of different materials
4. Sort objects and the materials they are made up of
5. List all the materials that an object is made up of
6. Sort materials based on certain characteristics
7. Name the material that a group of objects is made up of
8. Match objects with the best material for it's purpose
9. Test which material would make the best umbrella (science experiment)
10. Choose the object that is best for the job
11. Name ways to join materials
12. Design a pencil holder or other useful object (design process)
13. Describe ways to reduce, reuse, and recycle at school
Check out my Interactive Science Journal Freebies
for a journal cover, scientist craft, inquiry ideas, and more!
Buy this unit separately or in a bundle with my other three units to save money: Interactive Science Journal Bundle
*Updated* This unit comes bundled with two files now--the original PDF version and an editable PowerPoint version. If you teach Science in another language (German or Spanish perhaps?) you can edit the text boxes on the student pages to meet your needs. The teacher information pages are not editable, but all the student pages are! You do need to have PowerPoint in order to edit the file.