Also included in
- Engage your students with this fun Standards-based First Grade Math Number Sense Activities Bundle, worksheets, and digital activities and help them master these important foundational skills.✨ This HUGE BUNDLE contains practice for every first-grade Common Core Math Standard.☝ Check above to see$129.00$209.65Save $80.65
- Mega Math Practice Geometry BUNDLE makes teaching the first-grade geometry standards fun and engaging. These worksheets are also a great way to supplement your math routines, integrate valuable daily spatial sense practice and reinforce spatial relationships! The no-prep PRINT & GO worksheets a$12.00$15.00Save $3.00
Will you be teaching math centers and stations in the classroom, using distance learning, hybrid learning or in-class learning this year? Now, Composite Shapes Mega Math Practice 1.G.2 is adaptable to whatever learning situation in which you find yourself. Now DIGITAL for use with Google Slides™. First-grade math students need daily practice reasoning with shapes. These DIGITAL + PRINTABLE, easy-to-use first grade Mega Math Practice activities are the perfect way to practice the standard. They are great for morning work, homework in the classroom, or for distance learning.
CLICK on the video above to see how this unit works!
This unit includes both a DIGITAL version that is compatible with Google Slides™ and the traditional PDF version that can be used for distance learning.
Try the Mega Math Practice 1.OA bundle here:
This standards-based unit includes practice composing shapes based on their attributes and creating new shapes. Students must be able to distinguish between defining attributes (number of side, corners, etc.) and non-defining attributes (color, size and orientation) and how they relate to the composition of those shapes. Students must also be able to draw and compose shapes with defining attributes. Are your students ready for the challenges of the 21st century? Problem-solving and critical thinking skills are at the very heart of getting our kids ready to navigate the world of today.
Teachers need to understand the ways in which students acquire the ability to define and create shapes. Developing reasoning with shapes and spatial reasoning is critical to using higher-level math.
Mega Math Practice 1.G.2 gives your students a lot of practice understanding how to compose shapes and create new shapes. Young mathematicians not only need to learn how to define, but how to create shapes based on their attributes. Students need to be able to create shapes based on their attributes and create them. This is how we encourage higher-order thinking in our young students.
Mega Math Practice can be used as independent practice for skills already taught, homework or for a class starter. These pages are NOT meant to be used until students need practice with skills that they have already been taught. They should also not take the place of using manipulatives. The use of manipulatives would also be helpful when using these practice pages. Students need many opportunities to work with shapes and their properties.
This unit is aligned with the First Grade Common Core Math Standard 1.G.2
Compose two-dimensional shapes (rectangles, squares, trapezoids, triangles, half-circles, and quarter-circles) or three-dimensional shapes (cubes, right rectangular prisms, right circular cones, and right circular cylinders) to create a composite shape, and compose new shapes from the composite shape.
This unit includes practice with composing shapes based on attributes based on the first-grade standards. It also includes posters for common geometric solids. I use these pages during our “written math practice” rotation during math workshop/guided math time. These pages can also be used for early finishers or homework during the time that you work with individuals and small groups. There will be more MEGA MATH PRACTICE units to come aligned with the Common Core State Standards.
I have used ‘guided math’ in my classroom for over ten years. I begin my teaching block teaching/spiraling math concepts as a whole group, but most of my math block is devoted to guided practice in small groups followed by independent or small group practice, centers and intervention. I begin my math time every day with a page from my “Number of the Day” series.
I hope that you and your kids enjoy this fun resource. Check out my store for lots of fun math units including my popular Number of the Day units for grades K-Second.
This purchase is for one teacher only.
• This material is copyrighted by Barbara Morgan Balius. The purchase of this copyrighted product includes a limited license for your classroom use. It is meant for use by one teacher in one classroom. You may use this resource for each of your students in one classroom.
The product may not be copied and distributed, uploaded to the internet, or stored in a public retrieval system outside of the scope of your classroom before obtaining written approval from its author, Barbara Morgan Balius. This resource is not an Open Education Resource (OER) and as such cannot be uploaded to any #GoOpen websites, including, but not limited to, Amazon Inspire. If you intend to use it for more than one classroom, a whole school, or a whole district, additional licenses may be purchased on Teachers pay Teachers in my store. The pages included in this resources may not be used in whole or in part to create something new, and/or be distributed in any way without written consent from the author, Barbara Morgan Balius.
If you have any questions pertaining to this limited license for this product, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for a quote.
How to get TPT credit to use on future purchases:
• Please go to your My Purchases page (you may need to login). Beside each purchase you'll see a Provide Feedback button. Simply click it and you will be taken to a page where you can give a quick rating and leave a short comment for the product. Each time you give feedback, TPT gives you feedback credits that you use to lower the cost of your future purchases. I value your feedback greatly as it helps me determine which products are most valuable for your classroom so I can create more for you.
Be the first to know about my new discounts, freebies and product launches:
• Look for the green star next to my store logo and click it to become a follower. You will now receive email updates about my store.