This is the first time in five years that I have returned to teaching after staying home with my children. I am back in first grade, which I love. One of the new RTI groups that I am teaching is working on math word problems. I have created a notebook of sorts that you can use for daily word problem instruction. I am using a R.O.P.E.S method to solving problems which is explained in my notebook. My notebook is a gradual teaching.
- addition numbers to 10.
- addition numbers to 20
- subtraction numbers to 10
- subtraction numbers to 20
- addition and subtraction to 20
- three digit addition word problems.
Each page of word problems contains the following:
- the problem
- draw the problem
-write the equation
- represent in a ten frame
- tens and ones of the answer
- number bonds
- write how you solved.
- each page also contains the standards aligned with the word problems
There are over 30 pages of problems and manipulates to use. I hope that this will help you in teaching a deeper understanding of word problems.