Have your first graders begin practicing mental math with this quick and easy routine! This set of daily word problems will have students solving problems and explaining their answers questions aligned with the common core standards!
WHAT TOPIC(S) DO THE PROBLEMS FOR THIS MONTH FOCUS ON?
This set, for May, focuses on addition subtraction word problems within 20.
(Scroll down to see the topics for the other months of the year.)
HOW CAN I USE THIS IN MY CLASSROOM?
You can use this however will work best for you! For me, this is a quick five minute routine that we do every morning.
My students really love some of the adaptations that we've done, including:
• adding their names into the story (on a rotating basis)
• using turn and talks (to explain their solution to a partner)
• describing their partner's response (to encourage active listening)
Check out the blog post
on the routine if you want to learn more about it!
HOW MUCH PREP WORK DO I NEED TO DO?
All you have to do is laminate, cut the page into four pieces, and go! That's it!
IS THIS JUST ANOTHER MATH JOURNAL?
You could technically use these problems for math journals if you want, but this routine actually involves no paper and no pencils! If your students take the IOWA test, you know that the test doesn't allow for students to use scrap paper to solve their math problems, so I use my problem of the day to have my students focus on counting with our fingers and beginning to practice mental math!
WHAT TOPICS/STANDARDS DO THE OTHER MONTHS HELP TEACH/REINFORCE?
Each month focuses on a different skill for your students to develop:
• August/September: Counting On (1.NBT.A.1)
• October: Composing and Decomposing Teen Numbers (1.NBT.B.2.b)
• November: Making Ten for Addition (1.OA.B.3)
• December: Ten More/Ten Less (1.NBT.C.5)
• January: Addition Within 100 (1.NBT.C.4) (FREE!)
• February: Addition Word Problems (within 20) (1.OA.A.1)
• March: Addition Word Problems: Three Whole Numbers (1.OA.A.2)
• April: Subtraction Word Problems (within 20) (1.OA.A.1)
• May: Addition and Subtraction Word Problems (within 20) (1.OA.A.1)
• June/July: Addition and Subtraction Word Problems (within 20) (1.OA.A.1)
CAN I BUY ALL OF THE MONTHS TOGETHER?
Save 40% by getting the months as part of a BUNDLE
A Turn to Learn