This product is 184 pages!! This is a major time saver! This product contains 5 worksheets for every 1st grade spelling list. It also contains printable flashcards that can be used for studying, games, or classroom pocket charts. I have also included a spelling test and pretest template you can use each week. This packet presents itself as a natural opportunity to work on neatness and handwriting.
There is no doubt that the Saxon programs are wonderfully planned out and very effective. However, I noticed my students were in need of more interaction with the weekly spelling lists. I started making daily practice sheets just so they could get more practice with the words. It was soon obvious that the interaction with the words by using the worksheets was having a positive impact on their spelling and other language skills.
I created these as the year went along so they are gauged well with the ability of the children and progress in difficulty as the year continues.
What is the purpose of them?
- Provide the children with more practice with the words.
- Improve the familiarity of the words meaning and spelling
- Demand independent thinking
- Introduce and foster important language skills
What type of skills can be found in these sheets?
- Word Sorts
- Making lists of words by vowel sounds, diphthongs, and combinations
- ABC order
- Sentence writing
- Cloze Sentences and Paragraphs
- Simple word identification and meaning
- Word Searches (FUN)
- Memorization (Writing and rewriting the words)
- In columns, charts, using rainbow words, making word pyramids
- Word Scrambles
- Blends (initial and final)
- Reading & Vocabulary
- Who am I? Mystery Work
- Spelling Partner Practice Tests
When should you use these?
- I prefer doing sides A and B of the phonics sheets with my students in class. My parents really appreciate that too! Most folks just don't know all the coding jargon making it difficult for them to help with side B of the sheet. These sheets can be used for hw in place of Side B.
- These are great for morning work. Having a little something for them to do as soon as they enter makes for a smooth morning!
You are sure to enjoy them, and they will save you a ton of time!!
-Teaching with a Smile