These 100 high frequency words are from my daughter’s school (she teaches first grade) and have been designated that they are words the first graders must know. Included are four blank cards on which you can print any words you want your students to have that are not on this list.
If you run them off on card stock, cut them into the separate cards, and laminate them, they will last for many years.
Here are several ways to use these cards:
• Go over the words individually with students while others are working at centers.
• Use as flashcards for a literacy center or the whole class.
• Run off two copies and have students match the cards at a literacy center using only about 20 cards (you choose the number) at a time.
• Run off the cards and also run off a copy of each whole sheet. Ahead of time, you put the cards in stacks to match the whole sheet. Then have students match the card to the same word on the sheet at a literacy center.
• Have a set of perhaps 10 of the words at a literacy center and let the students write each word on their own paper.
• Let students trace the letters of the words with hi-liters on cards that have been laminated.
• Write sentences on sentence strips and leave a blank for a sight word that has been left out. Then let students choose the card that completes the sentence. Again, you will need to have a small stack of the cards that fit into the blanks at hand. I wouldn’t use the entire stack of 100 cards.
Run off a set for each student and place in his/her folder so his/her parents know what words their student needs to know, and also so parents can work with their student at home.
Here are the 100 words: all, if, get , so, let, do, with, big, he, she, very, is, but, has, man, at, into, yes, was, good, run, play, by, give, had, any, going, that, take, want, about, am, many, boy, girl, too, out, must, of, this, from, him, make, or, there, people, say, old, much, fly, came, after, where, could, your, saw, would, know, been, long, open, put, live, stop, eat, find, which, please, were, just, how, who, same, one, two, three, five, four, six, funny, down, will, over, them, once, pretty, they, went, think, their, when, our, home, soon, new, school, then, other, walk, should.