These first grade activities match Ohio's Learning Standards for Social Studies. Each standard has a reading passage, a class activity, and a center activity.
The following activities are included:
First Grade Geography Activities
There are 13 activities included.
First Grade History Activities
There are 11 activities included.
First Grade Government Activities
There are 10 activities included.
First Grade Economics Activities
There are 17 activities included.
I Can Statements for First Grade Social Studies
The following standards are included:
1. Time can be divided into categories (e.g., months of the year, past, present, and future).
2. Photographs, letters, artifacts, and books can be used to learn about the past.
3. The way basic human needs are met has changed over time.
4. Maps can be used to locate and identify places.
5. Places are distinctive because of their physical characteristics (landforms and bodies of water) and human characteristics (structures built by people).
6. Families interact with the physical environment differently in different times and places.
7. Diverse cultural practices address basic needs in various ways and may change over time.
8. Individuals are accountable for their actions.
9. Collaboration requires group members to respect the rights and opinions of others.
10. Rules exist in different settings. The principles of fairness should guide rules and the consequences for breaking rules.
11. Wants are unlimited and resources are limited. Therefore, people make choices because they cannot have everything they want.
12. People produce and consume goods and services in the community.
13. People trade to obtain goods and services they want.
14. Currency is used as a means of economic exchange.