"Hiawatha and The Peacekeeper"
- traditional Iroquois legend, from my school (I teach at a First Nations school). I translated it for my students and our program. The story is as old as time,it doesn't have an original author, though there are many current english versions you can buy.
The Premis: the story is about waring communities and how they come together to form the Iroquois confederacy, North America's oldest democracy.
I have used this story for :
- Language Arts (myths & legends unit, novel study)
- Social Studies (local history, mapping unit, government)
Included in this package:
- Hiawatha story (powerpoint format & PDF version)
- a mapping activity
- Hiawatha informational text with comprehension questions
- Hiawatha wampum belt informational text with comprehension questions
GROWING BUNDLE (More to be added over time)