This center was developed for use in a first grade classroom. It contains all the high frequency words taught in Kindergarten and first grade using the story town series. First grade words are broken up and organized by theme. This center set contains the following:
• Read it board
• Build it board
• Write it board
• Story Town high frequency word cards for kindergarten and 1st grade designed to fit on the read it board.
Assembly is as follows:
• Print out read it, build, and write it cards on card stock. Laminate for durability.
• Loose leaf rings are a great way to keep the boards organized and together and a great way to store in the classroom.
• Print out word cards on different color card stock. Use a color for each theme to help organize. Laminate for durability.
• Place Velcro on Read it board and word cards
• Place metal strip on Build it board.
Students choose a high frequency word card and stick it on the read it board to read. Velcro dots work well! Student reads the word than uses the build it board to use magnet letters or scrabble letters to build the word. I found a metal strip that is magnetic for the magnet letters to stick too. You can use Velcro too. Finally, the student writes the word on the write it board. A vis-à-vis marker works great. It wipes easily off a laminated sheet. Baby wipes are great to clean off!