Build math skills, vocabulary, inference
, and the ability to distinguish and use key details
with this bundle of 240 math riddle cards for grades one and two. These sets are great for spiraled review
all year when you use a card or two every day! Each of the cards has a three-clue riddle whose answer is a number from one to 120.
Here's a sample of one of the riddles:
I am an odd number.
I have 8 tens.
My ones digit is one more than my tens digit.
What am I?
The cards can be used in so many ways:
* Solve a riddle a day together for spiraled math review.
* Use a riddle as a warm-up before your math lesson.
* Expand your calendar activities
by solving one or more riddles each day and using the cards to build a hundred chart.
* In a small group or with partners, they can be used with two 100 number chart
games. Task cards/directions cards are included.
* Use the riddle cards as task cards
. Students can check their own solutions on the answer key
* For independent work, the cards can be used with the included solve-and-color
* Use them for a Read the Room activity
- keep your little mathematicians moving for better learning!
* For ongoing whole class review, distribute a card to each child, give a few moments to solve, and have the children line themselves up to leave the classroom by putting themselves in numerical order.
* Solving riddles is a great way to model and practice identifying key details, making
inferences, and drawing conclusions.
In order to be successful with the riddle cards, your students should be familiar with odd/even, tens and ones, adding and subtracting tens, US coins (pennies, nickels, dimes), and comparison signs for equalities and inequalities.
Please note, this set uses only US coins.
To allow independent use in math centers, this resource also includes an answer key.
These resources can be purchased separately:
120 Riddles for the 120 Chart, Set 1
120 Riddles for the 120 Chart, Set 2
Are you a third grade teacher? Try this set!
100 Riddles for the Hundred Chart for Third Grade
If you teach grades four or five, here's a version for you! 100 Riddles for the Hundred Chart, Intermediate Version
Thanks for your interest in this resource! You’ll also like…
Combo Bundle of All Three Grade Level Riddle Sets ~ Gr. 1-2, 3, and 4-5
100 Math Riddle Posters for Every Number From One to 100
CLICK HERE to return to my store page!
Would you like to save money on your TPT purchases? It’s easy!
• Please go to your My Purchases
page. Beside each purchase you'll see a Provide Feedback
button. Just click it and you will be taken to a page where you can give a quick rating and leave a short comment about the product. Your feedback will give you credits toward a future purchase!
• Click the star
on my store home page to follow. You’ll get an email update whenever I post a new resource. You’ll also find an occasional “Followers Only” freebie in your TpT inbox, just to say thanks!☺
Follow me on Pinterest
Primary Inspiration on Facebook
Primary Inspiration on Instagram