Subtraction for the kindergarten classroom. This activity includes 3 days of lessons in subtraction and can be modified to fill a week of instruction. Students will be able to subtract up to 5 using concrete, pictorial, and abstract methods (number sentences). These activities are hands on, provide opportunity for group and partner work, and incorporate literacy strategies through the subtraction lesson.
This lesson is based off of the Texas Essential Knowledge and Skills for kindergarten; however, it can be modified to fit the prekindergarten or first grade classrooms.
Monkey subtraction unit includes:
* 3 complete lesson plans (including: objective, vocabulary words, materials list, beginning, middle, and end of lesson, and essential questions)
* Exit tickets
* Assessments (written)
* Interactive masks for acting out subtraction problems
* Lessons for concrete, pictorial, and abstract methods of subtraction
* Differentiated materials and suggestions
* Class book on subtraction - cross curricular with ELAR
* Number cards
* 5 frames
* Subtraction strategies "cheat sheet"
* Center activity as an extension