MEETS COMMON CORE STANDARDS as follows:
ENGLISH LANGUAGE ARTS: Writing ELA-Literacy W.6-8.2, 4 through 10
SCIENCE: Writing. ELA-Literacy.WHST.6-8.2 through 10
1. Thesis & Outline PowerPoint
2. Student Handout for Thesis & Outline PowerPoint (printable)
3. Parallel Thesis Worksheet (printable)
4. Mammal Research Essay Assignment (printable)
5. Research Analysis (printable)
6. Step-by-Step Rough Draft Instructions (printable)
7. Research Paper Rubric (printable)
**Best if used with my Model Expository Research with corresponding Questionnaire, which can be found in my TpT Store**
GOAL: This Research Paper plan was written for my 7th Grade English class in connection with their Mammal Unit in Science. Once completed, students visually presented the information in Science class.
LENGTH: 5-15 days (45 minutes classes)
• Students will produce an appropriate research paper that meets established standards of English.
• Students will practice writing as a process including: gathering research from both print and online resources, formulating ideas, determining relationships among concepts, drafting, arranging paragraphs in an appropriate order, building transitions between paragraphs, revising, and proofreading according to conventions of Standard American English.
• Students will identify, evaluate and cite appropriate sources, both print and online.
• Students will write reports avoiding plagiarism.
• Students will write papers that demonstrate the ability to write a parallel-structured thesis statement, an introduction paragraph, supporting body paragraphs, and a conclusion paragraph.
• Students will write a formal paper following an abbreviated MLA format.
• Students will integrate resource material, using quotations, paraphrase, and summary.