Want to shake up your English, language arts, or creative writing classroom? Want to stress the importance of powerful adjectives to your students in a memorable way that demands concentration and critical thinking? Consider this activity!
This is a variation of an old creative writing assignment to teach the importance of powerful adjectives using the five senses. This activity has been around for quite a few years. You may have seen it performed with lollipops, Hershey's Kisses, etc.
I have tried both pieces of candy with my students with success. However, when I modified it slightly I found that this assignment works even better with Starlight Mints. My students' responses were much more varied and colorful.
I have included the student assignment sheet and an idea for an extensive assignment you may consider using also.
A quick note about the assignment sheet: One column says "strive for five," which is my way of challenging students to think of five powerful ways to describe what they are experiencing. You may modify this portion, if you wish, to fit your students' needs.
Also, why did I choose "starlights" in the first place? Well, starlight mints are certainly cheaper than other pieces of candy. I have also found that most of my students may consume them, as allergies are less likely to interfere with their participation.
If you like this packet, please consider the following educational resources available in my store:
1. 25 Prompts for Narrative and Descriptive Writing - Common Core-aligned
2. Twitter Tales: Writing Haiku, Micropoems & Short Fiction in 140 Characters
3. Lifesavers: Last-Minute Language Arts Lesson Plan Worksheets for Grades 5-8
4. 27 Websites for Locating Primary Sources
5. 25 Interactive Web Sites for Virtual Field Trips
6. 50+ Links to FREE Informational Texts for Middle & High School Grades
7. Evaluating Sources for Credibility Lesson Plan + PowerPoint + Student Activities
8. The Hunger Games RAFT Writing Project + Rubric + Edublogs Blogging Tutorial
9. Understanding Plagiarism: Lesson Plan + PowerPoint + Student Activities
10. Flowers for Algernon RAFT Writing Project + Rubric + Edublogs Blogging Tutorial
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 Unported License