This is one of the best sight word activities I use in my classroom! Typically, I hate flashcards for young children, but mixing in picture cards (with an accompanying action and phrase) makes it so fun! My students love it and we do this activity at least twice a week. They love seeing when the picture cards will appear (they find it especially hilarious if there happen to be 2 in a row). I try to switch the pictures every few weeks. I have provided 47 word cards, and a variety of 19 picture/activity cards, both seasonal and non-seasonal (3 of each picture). I suggest making 2-3 copies of the picture pages so that you have 6-9 pictures to mix in, particularly as the students' sight word repertoire grows larger and larger! My word cards are all glued on black construction paper, then laminated.
Word cards include Fry's first 25 sight words, PLUS all additional sight words taught in the WONDERS reading curriculum for Kindergarten. That is 47 words in all! Hope I've got the ones you need!
Words: I, the, a, and, you, he, is, are, to, on, it, have, of, in, at, his, as, this, for, they, with, that, was, from, be, see, like, can, go, my, we, do, little, she, here, me, what, help, too, has, play, good, who, come, does
Picture cards (and the associating actions/words):
• Ghost – says “Boo!”
• Valentine Monster – says/signs “I Love You”
• Santa – says “HO! HO! HO!” while miming belly shake
• Turkey – says “Gobble, Gobble!”
• Leprechaun – says “Pinch, Pinch!” while pinching IN THE AIR
• Football – makes goalpost with arms, while yelling “TOUCHDOWN!”
• Basketball – mimes basketball shot, says “Nothin’ but net!”
• Girl/Boy – mixed in together, girls read words behind their picture until a boy card shows up; reading switches back and forth
• P/F – piano and forte – also mixed in together, children read soft and loud (like dynamics in music)
• Snowman/flakes – sing “Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow”
• Bunny – NO SOUND… Children wiggle noses (this one is my favorite - hilarious to watch and so quiet!)
• Turtle – Claps, saying “SNAP!”
• Pizza – imitates Little Ceasar’s commercial
• Popcorn – says “POP”, children can pop up from seats
• Car – imitate a horn
• Birthday Cards – Sing, “Happy Birthday dear, _______”
• Monster – Wiggles!
• Police Car – imitates siren
• Cowboy – lassos, says “Yee-haw!”
This activity is included in my Sight Word Pack.
***graphics were retrieved from mycutegraphics.com