PDF (Acrobat) Document File
Be sure that you have an application to open this file type before downloading and/or purchasing.
Few things fascinate kids more than flight. Fortunately, we will be learning about it by building something else that kids love - paper airplanes!
In this lesson kids will:
- Practice coordination in folding paper airplanes
- Learn four basic physics forces behind flying
- See flight forces in action!
- Throw a lot of paper airplanes
Keep it simple by explaining some of the basic forces to the younger kids. Or ramp it up with some serious flight testing and graphing for the older kids. Either way, they will love folding and throwing the airplanes!
You can also head over to our "How to Build the Perfect Paper Airplane" video to learn how to build our favorite paper airplane.
Time to Complete
15+ minutes prep time, 30 hour lesson time
Paper Airplanes and Flight
Gravity, lift, thrust, drag, mass, weight, Bernoulli’s principle
Take it Outside
This lesson is designed to be done outdoors. It can easily be taken into the schoolyard or the backyard.
This Lesson Contains
- Detailed prep section
- Interactive, hands-on lesson outline
- Links to detailed folding videos (for those like *ahem* me *ahem* who's airplanes always fly south)
- Science Explanations
- Variations and experiments for older ages with our Flight Tracking sheet
Not strong in science? Don't let that slow you down!
This lesson explains all the science behind the main forces of flight.
Next Generation Science Standards