The word ‘fluency’ means quickly and accurately and can be applied to both mathematics and reading. When a child is able to read fluently, he or she reads accurately, quickly and with expression. Fluency in reading is important because it becomes the bridge between word recognition and reading comprehension. Fluency in math is important because studies have shown that students who are unable to recall basic math facts easily often get lost and miss out on important instruction. Math fluency leads to higher-level thinking and allows for less cognitive stress.
How Can I Use This Packet?
Included in this packet are many different math and reading fluency practice pages. I have found that my students LOVE the challenge of beating the clock and as a result, love these pages.
BEAT THE CLOCK! Set a timer for a certain amount of time (more time will be needed at the beginning, leading to less time as the fluency increases). Have students read through the page, trying to beat the clock!
HOW FAST CAN YOU GO? Time how long it takes the student to read through the page. Record the times and watch as they improve!
PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE: Some students become stressed when they are being timed and perform below their abilities. Simply have the student read through the page without timing to cut down on stress!
REMEMBER, speed is fun but accuracy is the number one focus!
Fluency Pages Included:
- Number Fluency - (1-5, 1-10, 1-20, 1-50, 1-75, 1-100) - Apple, Fall, Winter, Valentine's Day, St. Patrick's Day, Spring Versions included!
- Number Word Fluency (one-ten)
- 2D Shape Fluency - 2 Versions (Version #1: rectangle, square, circle, triangle, oval Version #2: rectangle, square, circle, triangle, oval, hexagon, trapezoid)
- 3D Shape Fluency
- Capital Letter Fluency - Apple, Fall, Spider versions included!
- Lowercase Letter Fluency - Apple, Fall, Spider versions included!
- Letter Sound Fluency - Apple, Fall, Spider, Winter versions included!
- Word Family Fluency - 2 versions
- Color Word Fluency - 3 versions
- Sight Word Fluency - 3 versions
- Simple Sentence Fluency - 3 versions
This unit is all in black and white to help save on printer ink and includes many different versions for easy differentiation for all learners!
If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to ask!