Some students need further help with phonics skills, yet many phonics activities are created for younger students. I created this reading resource for long vowel digraphs "ai" and "ay" that is appropriate for older students while still applicable for grade-level use. The included fluency passages (that could also be used as whole class close readings) are at beginning to mid third, fourth, and fifth-grade reading levels. However, many older students require revisiting phonics lessons.
With your download, you will receive the following:
1. Directions on how to conduct a fluency assessment.
2. Three fluency passages graded at 3.2, 4.1, and 5.5 -- great for differentiated instruction or response to intervention.
3. Corresponding teacher copies with "ai" and "ay," words underlined. Can be used with repeated readings.
5. Eighteen words that practice "ai,” "ay" and a few "others" thrown in for a word sort.
6. One worksheet for students to write the words into proper categories (from the word sort) along with sentence writing practice.
7. A worksheet that contains two vocabulary webs with assigned words.
8. A worksheet that contains two blank vocabulary webs for you to assign new words.
9. A drawing activity to reinforce the comprehension strategy of visualizing.
10. A fun drawing activity!