This product was designed to supplement Lesson 10 in Level 3 of the Barton Reading & Spelling System but can be used in any Orton-Gillingham or phonics program. Students practice forming and reading contractions in short phrases to achieve fluency. There are five different activities included.
1. Roll 'n Read #1 game--Two to four students play this game. It can also be played with one student and a tutor. Students read the phrases that contain contractions. They can read the phrases a second time and say the two words that form the contractions. A player rolls a die and then reads a phrase in the corresponding box. If read correct, the player highlights the phrase. Players take turns rolling the die and reading a phrase. The person who highlights all of the phrases in one box first is the winner.
2. Roll 'n Read #2 game--Played like Roll 'n Read #1. In addition to reading the phrases, students write down contractions on the blanks for the words that can be combined into a contraction.
3. Roll 'n Read #3 game--Played like Roll 'n Read #1. In addition to reading the phrases, the students write down the two words used to form the contractions in the phrases.
4. Phrase flash cards--Students practice reading short phrases individually or with a partner. Thirty-five cards include contractions. Another thirty-five cards contain two words that can be formed into a contraction.
5. Writing Activity--Students use phrases from the flash cards to write sentences.
Check out the other versions for different levels and skills:
Level 2 BUNDLE
CVC Words #1: Level 2 Lesson 1
CVC Words #2: Level 2 Lesson 2
CVC Words #3: Level 2 Lesson 3
CVC Words #4: Level 2 Lesson 4
Digraphs: Level 2 Lesson 5
Level 3 BUNDLE
Final Blends: Level 3 Lesson 1
Initial Blends: Level 3 Lesson 2
Blends on Both Ends: Level 3 Lesson 3
3-Letter & Digraph Blends: Level 3 Lesson 4
Double Letters on the end: Level 3 Lesson 5
Sounds of C and K: Level 3 Lesson 6
/k/ on the end: Level 3 Lesson 7
Units -ng and -nk: Level 3 Lesson 8
Ch and Tch: Level 3 Lesson 9
Contractions: Level 3 Lesson 10
Units: Long i and Long o: Level 3 Lesson 11
Multi-Syllabic Words & Open Syllables: Level 4 Lesson 2
Multi-Syllabic Words: VC/CV Pattern: Level 4 Lesson 3
Multi-Syllabic Words: Spellings of k Level 4 Lesson 4
Multi-Syllabic Words: Double Letters, Ex-, S/SS: Level 4 Lesson 5
Multi-Syllabic Words: Schwa Sound: Level 4 Lesson 6
Multi-Syllabic Words: Compound Words and 3 Middle Consonants: Level 4 Lesson 7
Multi-Syllabic Words: Three-Syllable Words Level 4 Lesson 9
Multi-Syllabic Words & Schwa: Three-Syllable Words Level 4 Lesson 10
Multi-Syllabic Words & Schwa In the Middle: Level 4 Lesson 11
Search Terms: Orton-Gillingham, Barton, Multi-Syllabic, Multi-Syllable, Syllabication, Dyslexia, fluency