Fly High!: The Story of Bessie Coleman, written by Louise Borden and Mary Kay Kroeger, is the story of Bessie Coleman’s journey to become one of the most inspiring pilots of American history. The informational narrative tells the story of how Bessie’s parents raised thirteen children in Texas by working in the harsh cotton fields. As Bessie’s brothers talked about the amazing French female pilots they encountered during the war, Bessie began to dream about making the same accomplishment. Bessie trains in France and inspires many children to follow their dreams just like she did. (Grades 2-5)
Included in the package:
- Prezi- A 3D Lesson plan that is similar to powerpoint, with a 3D effect.
- Lesson Plan in PDF format
A. Common Core Aligned
B. Teaches Summary and Theme
C. Includes background information
D. Modeling, guided practice, and independent practice.
- 5 activities to extend the lesson
- 2 Vocabulary Practice sheet (five words per sheet)
- 1 Graphic Organizers (Summary/Theme)
- Comprehension Quiz with 7 MC questions and 1 ER question. Answer key included.